Tuesday 6 September 2016

Powergaming and Metagaming

As I roleplay on roleplaying servers.. I see a lot of people LOOKING at other peoples names and saying them. One... for example, my name is Somefattroll, someone's name in real life would NOT, I repeat NOT be Somefattroll. It would be something like Jon or Jeffrey. Metagaming is mixing OOC and IC. Or IC and OOC. Before I tell you about metagaming, OOC is Out of Character. Out of Character is just when you want to have plain fun, grind on NPC's and all that good stuff. IC (in character) is when you are In Character... now that's when you start roleplaying. So metagaming, metagaming - Mixing OOC and IC or IC and OOC. OOC and IC.. let's start with that, so if my name was Christian, I would tell the player so they wouldn't say my ACTUAL name. But they have to ask me my RP name first because I told them OOCly. Not ICly. So if I tell them OOCly and they call me "Christian" that would be metagaming, they would have to find out by asking me or so. On to powergaming! 

Powergaming is forcing actions against another player. As so if in real life you would not instantly kill someone.. take their money and walk away /grammarfail. Here is an example of powergame. /me slices you in half, obviously you can not instantly slice someone in half. If they have a weapon they could parry it, if they have HEAVY armor they wouldn't be sliced in half, probably just cut or so.

Credits to Somefattroll on the WOW Fourms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment